Wednesday, August 27, 2014

A, B, C, D, E, F?

Many have asked Alex and I as to whether we are considering a name that starts with 'F' for our son. This all relates to the fact that the initials of the family first names follow the A, B, C's. While it's an interesting pattern, I find myself reiterating to others that this naming thing just happened by chance and it wasn't intentional. As we approach the final days of this pregnancy, I thought it would be fun to reflect on how we came to the names of our children. As many know, we don't name our children until they are born. This is a personal approach as I truly believe that the name is chosen for them, not necessarily by us, and it is revealed by their birth. 

Devlin Azrael Jarboe
Devlin is our first born. He was born on 11/21/08 at 12:20pm. He weighed 5lbs 15oz and was 20 in long. As with many first time parents, we spent a significant amount of time making and reviewing baby name lists. 

His first name is Irish and means courage. It's typically used as a surname in Ireland, but can also be found in Hebrew, meaning Beloved.  His middle name, Azrael (az-rael) is of Hebrew origin and it's meaning is "helped by God." The origin of the name is of the archangel who was charged with the care of those born under the sign of Scorpio and this archangel is also found in Muslim and Jewish stories. 

The importance of his name, to me, was the highest priority as he came into this world unexpectedly after many challenges from conception to delivery. Truly he was helped by God to come into this world and be a part of our family. It was also during these challenges that I found my connection and strength in KTIS (www.myktis.com). And one of my favorite Christian songs is Beloved by 10th Avenue North. 

In speaking with a colleague about a year ago about naming conventions, I also indicated my strong connection with guardian angels. There is something about the protection and message that they give on behalf of God that resonates well with me. Often folks think that my angel collection is just a hobby. It's actually more than that. I find angels within everyone that I know or meet, embedded in their spiritual being, being there at the right time and place. What also resonated with me in regards to Azrael, was the multi-cultural/religious background. One thing I hope all my children understand is the message that Pope Francis has conveyed more than ever, about acceptance and freedom to believe, and above all, love for all people.

Byron Gabriel Jarboe
With our second son, I found it interesting that we had a similar list of names and interests. However, we were going back and forth on a few names and had some difficulty in leaning one way versus the other. Byron Gabriel Jarboe was born at 2:14pm, 8lbs, 11oz, at 21 inches long. His delivery was fast, and by fast I mean that Dr. O'Neil literally was running in the door in her hoodie and jeans, with one of her kids and his friends outside in the hallway. We were still debating names when he came into this world. Yet, with some additional inspiration from their kids, Byron Gabriel was chosen. Byron means "at the byres or barn" and I had it on the list for my interests in poetry, Lord Byron. Lord Byron was known for his debauchery, but I was thinking more about his wildness, romantic, and bold characteristics. 

One of my favorite poems: 'She walks in Beauty'

HE walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that's best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes:
Thus mellow'd to that tender light
Which heaven to gaudy day denies.
 
One shade the more, one ray the less,
Had half impair'd the nameless grace
Which waves in every raven tress,
Or softly lightens o'er her face;
Where thoughts serenely sweet express
How pure, how dear their dwelling-place.
 
And on that cheek, and o'er that brow,
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
But tell of days in goodness spent,
A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent!

Byron certainly has fulfilled these characteristics (hopefully he'll be more saintly than L.B.). He's the most empathetic and yet destructive boy. He shows emotion and shows his love for his family all the time. I just adore his desire to hug, cuddle, and give kisses at night. Gabriel should be fairly easy to understand, given my earlier mention about angels. Gabriel is a messenger and means, "God is my strength" and is known for his assistance and protection of children and child birth.  

Evelyn Auriel Jarboe
Evelyn was born on August 22nd at 4:56pm at 9lbs, 21 inches long. Her name was a name that I had in the back of my mind for a very long time. Evelyn means giver of life, wished for. As our only daughter, she was wished for and has been such a blessing to us and her brothers. Auriel is another archangel (often referred to as Uriel) and means 'God is my Light.' Also Uriel/Auriel is often connected with poetry and wisdom. Often Uriel/Auriel is known as the angel of presence, one of the select few that can be in the presence of God Himself. Uriel is as well found to be the instructor of Ezra (which is originated through Azrael interestingly enough) and I can definitely see Evelyn instructing her brothers not only on serious matters in the future, but also lightheartedness.

Baby Jarboe (TBD Arrival)
So what name will our third son receive? We will probably know tomorrow. However, don't be shocked if it doesn't start with 'F.' 

No comments:

Post a Comment