I'm not sure exactly why it caught my attention, but perhaps it's because of the many friends and relatives that had served or are serving in the military.
It makes me want to forgive a man who served our country but suffered greatly from post traumatic stress syndrome and as a result that suffering often tainted unintentionally the family and memories. He tried to get support, but it seems like the support he was given, wasn't the support he really needed.
It was evident looking back now that support for those veterans from old wars and frankly even the wars of today was not what it should have been or should be. More attention to these issues have been in the spotlight, but it continues to be a problem.
One Lavender Ribbon
I recently read a book called One Lavender Ribbon by Heather Burch (http://www.heatherburchbooks.com/). At first I thought it was a light read, great for the summer...love letters from a WII soldier. However, the further I read, it was much more than that. It spoke to the need to listen, to not make immediate judgments, and to give a welcoming that has been long overdue for many soldiers.
Thinking further, it reminded me of the fact that an old custom seemed to be fading. At the Apple Valley, MN 4th of July parade, I noticed that many never took their hats off when the veterans came through carrying the flags or even for the National Anthem. Yes, most stood, but the custom of removing your hat as a sign of respect, seemed to be inconsistent within the crowd. Also as veterans with decorated caps and honors passed by, many did not clap. Are these customs truly fading? I hope this was a rare occurrence and that these customs continue on into the future.

No comments:
Post a Comment