Thursday, September 1, 2011

What is it really about?

There is a recent initiative on Facebook regarding the use of tax dollars to build a mosque near the 9/11 site. Just some context regarding the initiative--this initiative was against funding the building of the mosque with tax dollars.

I can see several sides of this story. One being, that the mosque building project wasn't handled well and as a result, the locals are fairly against it due to the 9/11 history. Another, being the separation between "church" and state. But I think what hasn't truly been discussed is the fact that even if the builders didn't "appropriately" address the community regarding the project, there's something more to this push back besides money. To be frank, despite the fact that it has been said many times before, people still associate the tragedies of 9/11 with the muslim faith, instead of the extremists. There were muslims killed on 9/11 (I think). Were they not too Americans? Didn't they have the same dreams and values as members of the community?

I'll be honest to say that I think it's rather unfortunate that we cannot set it aside.  I don't know much about the details about how they approached the surrounding community or how they are currently dealing with the situation.  However, despite all of this, does it really matter? Even if they did consult, there would still be push back. It's not about the money. It's about the people. The community isn't comfortable with the idea.

I'm in favor of the building site as it pushes back on the community and the stereotypes the have come forth since 9/11. Is it risky? Yes. But you know what? It's this kind of push back that starts a revolution in terms of culture and perceptions. In terms of money, it is a bit strange to fund a "religious" buidling site. However, if we think about it more, the types of funding that is granted for other things, can and do go against this idea of separation between belief and government. We all have beliefs and government was built on belief.

If we don't believe that the homeless deserve shelter or food, should we stop that funding too? If we don't believe that every child should have an opportunity to learn, should we stop funding public schools? If we don't believe in slavery, why do we give money to countries that enslave people? Who has the power to say what beliefs are and what should be funded?

It's not about the location or the money, but the people.

No comments:

Post a Comment