Tuesday, August 16, 2011

We're all trying to get to a destination.


A few weeks ago, I read an article (http://m.startribune.com/opinion/?id=126619568&c=y) "That truck driver you flipped off? Let me tell you his story" by Dan Hanson. This was eye opening. There are many times that I have found myself in a bit of road rage when the big rigs try to pass each other on the highway and I just have some where more important to be in 5 minutes. And no matter how many times they say, that if you speed 10 miles over, you don't get there faster, you, at least I have, thought...it does get me there faster. In the past I've ignored this guidance, but I think I've grown up just a bit. I'm more self-conscious about speeding as I now have a family and two boys.
 
However, after reading this article I find myself feeling guilty for always assuming that these truck drivers have it out for us...to delay us from our destination. Or that other drivers for that matter just are incompetent and don't know how to drive. I have those moments at least once a week where I get cut off or that big rig just can't get up to speed as fast as I want them to...
 
When I catch myself in these moments, I try to step back and think, there's a reason for this. God may have placed that driver ahead of me for a reason. Also, these trucks and cars are not just vehicles, but vehicles carrying people, God's people. Yes, people do have some issues with driving, but who doesn't? Don't we all sin because we're all human? All humans make mistakes and we're all trying to get to a destination.
 
What if that person that cut you off was someone not thinking clearly, because they are rushing to the hospital to see their child? What if that person who didn't use their blinker was thinking about how they are going to tell their family that they lost their job? What if that person in the car next to you, who has the music just a bit too loud, is trying to drown out their suffering or trying to express their joy? What if that person who made you slow down, making you late, resulted in you not being in the right place, but at the "wrong" time?
 
While everyone has busy schedules and places to go, think twice before cussing out that driver. And if you catch yourself in the middle of road rage, step back and take a moment to pray.
 
So in my margins, we're all trying to get to a destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment