So in the news and on KTIS, there's this huge discussion going on in regards to Michelle Bachmann's comments about how she is submissive to her husband. In a discussion yesterday, she clarified that it's not that she's being passive, but respectful of her husband. In various articles, I've seen commentators just slam her against the wall as not being a leader, but a follower. Frankly, I'll be honest that I'm not a supporter of her run. I haven't made a decision as to who I'll vote for in 2012. However, I do think that this kind of bashing just shows how people can be full of assumptions about beliefs and words. Words are not black and white. They can mean many things. In this example, being submissive to your husband.
Long ago, a close friend of mine asked me why I would always ask my husband about things first, before just diving in on a chance to go out to a concert or happy hour or whatever. Even recently, I've turned heads about asking my husband if I could purchase a Mocha at the local Caribou. There were assumptions floating around that I was being submissive and not my own person. It reminds me of the comment from one article where the writer says, "Taking all this ‘God speaks through my husband’ nonsense, it does beg the question who exactly is running for president, Michelle, her husband or perhaps God?" (http://thenevadaview.com/?p=1170).
Well, this nonsense is common sense.
I recall the conversation I had with that close friend. I had told her that while I may nag him here and there ...or be critical sometimes of him, I respect him and love him. Our marriage is built on love and respect. This means being transparent and open with each other.
Once, I remember a time where I wasn't sure if I should do one thing or the other. I consulted him as he is my best friend, my guide that is closest to God. His advice allowed me to grow as a person and lead others in the right path. Why do I say that you may ask?
My belief is that God lives in all of us. He speaks through all of us. He uses those around us to speak to us. And I believe, he speaks through my husband. There are times where I doubt life, stressing out about what will happen...what will we do? He reassures that it may happen but it's how we handle it that matters. A clear example is when last year he was layed off. Momentarily he was upset, but he handled it with the most calm I've ever seen. He already knew that God knew what He was doing with his life. He knew there was going to be another opportunity and that everything would be just fine. That my friends, is the Holy Spirit in action.
Why wouldn't I want to respect that? Yes, there are times when he tells me know...you can't do that. Do I get a little peeved? Yes, I do. I'm not one of those... "okay dear..." types who goes on with the day smiling that my husband said no. But, you know what, in the end sometimes those "no's" are the best no ever. I come back to him and say, you know what, you're right. That wasn't a good idea. Like buying lots and lots of trees and bushes that were on clearance...without knowing where they'd go in our yard.
And you know what makes this work? He does the same. He asks me about decision making stuff. He's as transparent.
We're not perfect. We make mistakes...miscommunicate... but we're human and we love each other and through that love, we respect each other.
So in my margins, I write,
John 13:34. A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.
No comments:
Post a Comment