I'm just about to finish up my Master's degree in English. One of the ongoing questions I've been grappling with is what's next. What do I do now? I've been contemplating this for awhile. The question came up also in several conversations with coworkers, friends, and family. I felt uneasy in my response of "I don't know." The gitters came from me feeling like I should have known what's next after the degree. I should have known if I'm going to change careers, seek a PhD or some other degree, know where I want to be in 20 years, etc. Well, to be frank, I don't.
One day while I was on my way home, I was listening to KTIS and a song was played, "Do Everything" by Steven Chapman. He didn't say...go over-do it and do everything possibly imaginable. Thank heavens no. The song was more about it doesn't matter what you do, but how you do it. Seems like a "duh" statement right? Well, I think he's right that many of us here and there question our choices in careers and life paths. We wonder, did I make the right choice? Is this job for me? Should I be doing something else? Sometimes that is a valid question...for example my managerial job at a gas station. That was definitely the right moment, in my mind, to get the heck out of there and find a different job that better fits me. Nothing against gas station workers, as you do amazing things too. But that's the point. Right there. You do amazing things. It doesn't matter what you do for a job...as Steven says,
You may be hooking up mergers, cooking up burgers
But at the end of the day
Little stuff big stuff in between stuff
God sees it all the same
And while I may not know you I bet I know you
Wonder sometimes does it matter at all
We’ll let me remind you it all matters just as long as you do
Everything you do to the glory of the One who made you
Cause He made you
To do every little thing that you do to bring a smile to His face
And tell the story of grace with every move that you make
And every little thing that you do
So as I finish up my Master's and trudge through the papers and books, I find myself saying, "meh" in response to the "what's next question." Meh is a famous response I get from my husband. I'm going to focus first on the now. I'll focus on how I do things and how it relates to serving God. I may complain or start doubting here and there, but hey, I'm human. It's in our nature to do that. But, I'll do my best to remind myself to listen to Steven's song.
So in my margins, I write, "It doesn't matter what you do, it's how you do it."
No comments:
Post a Comment