Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Como Zoo

So I took the boys to Como Zoo. We met up with a couple (friends and their two girls) that I've known since high school. I have to say, that when I play "single mom" I do a pretty darn good job. Alex isn't always around because of work or this past week, jury duty. Of course, I lean on others for help, but for the most part I've played the lead.

I seemed to have everything in order... down to the chest pack if Byron needed to be held versus the double stroller...to a make shift leash for Devlin...for similar reasons. I got them fed... cleaned up... and had them both under control. My gal friend (try not to disclose names), she was fairly impressed. She said she couldn't believe how calm I was in handling situations with not much help. I was surprised too... but I have to say though, I am human!!! Have I lost my cool with the boys? Yes. Am I proud of that? Of course not. I try very hard to stay calm and not yell at them. It's not an easy task. I figure yelling isn't going to do any good and frankly could hurt their feelings. The few times I've lost it with them, I've always made sure that I apologized to them and tell them, it's not okay. Do they understand? I think so.

I figure, yelling should be reserved for times where they are in danger of hurting themselves or others---running into a street/parking lot...swinging a remote at a younger brother... (hint---remote situation has occurred).

Anyways, that's my take on it at least. I do my darn best for both of them...and for my own sake/sanity.

Overall, they are very good boys. Every once and a while, both will have a duet of crying...screaming...I just try to step back...take a deep breath...and maybe an advil or two.

The hardest part of all of this... well, maybe it's the amazing part...that not only have I taken the reigns on parenting, but I work fulltime, go to school, and manage the household.

Another question was brought up at the zoo experience... and a third coming? as in kids... I said.. perhaps. but not now. I would encourage God to let us get both boys through diaper-hood into potty training before that happens, but will be, will be.  And frankly, I'd like a break to enjoy some sweet drinks for awhile before going nada for another 2 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment