Time flies.
Today as I walked into the kitchen to grab a chocolate chip cookie, I heard my little apprentice fuss. He had been laying on the floor in the living room on a teddy bear blanket, his designated "zone." Yet, as I walked back to check on him, he was on his stomach trying to wiggle his way back to his original position. He had rolled over. I thought to myself, "it's time." Time to baby proof the house. Within minutes he rolled over again. I was beside-myself. My son was taking his next step into childhood.
Time flies.
My mother came to visit last Saturday. It has been a long time since she has seen her grandson. Winter played a big part as well as time itself. Between winter storms and our busy lifestyles (work, school, and general household life), she just didn't have a chance to travel. But this past Saturday she had the opportunity to spend quality time with her grandson. Since the last time she had him in her arms, he has now smiled, coo'd, and sit up mostly on his own (with mom's arms as guard rails). He also has grown 4 inches and gained 4 pounds.
Time flies.
I think about the future, as time permits, what it may entail for my little apprentice. But time flies too quickly to waste time thinking about the future. Present is best. Watching my son laugh as the pizza Elmo my mother gave him sways back and forth. Watching my son look into his fathers eyes as he pulls on his ear. Watching my son focus on the music sheets as I play "Drunken Sailor" and "London Bridges."
The present of course changes into the past and these times will become just traces of memory and short stories to retell as my son graduates from higschool or maybe college, marries, and holds his son for the first time.
No comments:
Post a Comment