Friday, April 10, 2009

"G"ood Friday

Fridays are typically good. It's the end of the work week and the beginning of the weekend. It's the mark of a coming sleep-in day. But this day, this particular Friday is "G"ood. It is the mark of the day when God chose his Son to be crucified on the Cross. We venerate the cross today as a sign of our salvation.

As I sat in the pew with my son, Alex in the choir, I watched others in the congregation. Some were sharing a bit of gossip while one particular gentlemen, three pews ahead of me, had his head in his hands.

This is a "G"ood day I thought. Devlin was at daycare while Alex and I were able to take some time to take care of chores and have some "us" time.

It was a "G"ood day. While we were taking care of those pesky household chores, I bought a new bicycle and with my husband I went riding for the first time in over a year. While there was pain in my thighs from the lack of exercise, the wind in my face was refreshing.

This is a "G"ood day.

It was around this time last year that a choir member had asked "Are you pregnant?" It was two weeks later that I found out that I truly was. Easter is so much more than the bunny and chocolate eggs. Easter is much more than Sunday service. Easter is a mark of our salvation, my salvation as a mother. After mass, I took my lil apprentice up to the altar. The 5 foot wooden cross lay on the stairs between two pillar candles. I sat down next to it leaning down and whispered to him, "This is the Cross Devlin, but you already know."

No comments:

Post a Comment