Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Second-Hand

I don't mind getting second-hand clothing, electronics, or other items. I love shopping at Goodwill, Once Upon a Child, CHAP Victory Value, and the Salvation Army. I think the prices are much more reasonable and most stuff that I get is in pretty good shape. Especially with my little apprentice, I spend lots of time looking at clothing from Once Upon a Child because he'll only be in it for 2-4 weeks as it is. There's not a real good reason to buy "new" unless I absolutely need to do so. Even refurbished stuff from companies is a great way to get what you want at a small price. We recently bought a new litter box, the litter-robot, which was refurbished and works just fine.
(Well, for our cats, it's a work-in-progress. Sonny isn't fond of the machine just yet. When I removed the old litter box a bit too soon for his comfort, he decided to use our couch instead. Let's just say we've got the recommended quantities of litter boxes per the Litter Guide.)

There is one thing that is second-hand that I cannot stand. Second-hand smoke. Working in downtown has made me realize how much I hate it. It's beautiful outside (for the most part) and I love to walk outside instead of in the sky-ways, but you are forced to, because the amount of cigarette smoke is just apalling. If you just walk outside, you would assume that everyone smokes. There have been days on my way home from work where my coat smells like smoke and I end up taking it off before picking up my son from daycare. And though I don't smoke, I end up washing my coats at least once a month in order to remove the stench.

So is this an anti-smoking ad? Perhaps. I'll admit I am against smoking and giving rights to smokers. Do I have to live with it? Yes, I do. Because while there might be limitations or rules on where smokers smoke, that does not mean they are enforced. Does it mean I hate people who smoke? Definitely not. I have many good friends who do, and while I've made the nudge for them to quit, it is their choice to smoke, so I respect that. I just don't hang out at the corner with them while they are puffing away.

Second-hand smoke has recently been in the news, stating that it can be as deadly as smoking itself. When the nurse asks at my son's appointments, "Does anyone smoke?" I wonder, do I say yes, because I walk through the smog all the time, or do I say no because no one in our home smokes. What I love about Chicago is they have the smoking ban in restuarants. It's amazing to just sit anywhere and have a nice dinner without smelling the odor of cigarettes creeping through the non-smoking section. Minnesota made a similar law, which is great.

I love the anti-smoking ads recently. They are very realistic. I had a friend die of lung cancer which was assumed to be directly linked to his excessive smoking (he also had liver cancer from excessive drinking). It does affect others, and while smokers may or may not acknowledge that fact, I don't think some smokers really pay attention to those ads or even the health classes or (if they have any) their kids health projects from school.

I will just walk through it anyways and try to keep my second-hand clothes, second-hand (no smoke attached).

No comments:

Post a Comment