Monday, April 20, 2009

What Lost the Crown

Last night, there was not much on TV. Devlin and I were cuddling on the couch because it was one of those "I need you" nights. As we surfed the channels, I saw that Miss USA 2009 was on channel 11. Wow. I have not watched a pageant in a long time. I myself, use to be in pageants, well, two really, and so I suppose I had a slight connection to the experience and needed a re-connection with that part of myself. So, we watched. Devlin didn't much care, but Alex commented (as well as myself) about the swimsuits and figures, or lack thereof. We gave our two cents on the evening gown competition. Commenting on the elegance of Miss North Carolina's blue gown, flowing like curtains in the wind as she walked across the stage. And making ill-faced looks at another gal, who I can't even tell you where she was from, who wore a sort-of two piece red and pink gown. It was just distasteful. Not something I'd wear at an evening gala. Frankly, none of the dresses I could ever wear as I am not a size sub-zero. That's another thing that really bugs me about these pageants. They claim that making the girls wear swimsuits and evening wear shows whether or not they are comfortable and confident with their bodies. What a cheap-cop-out answer. Seriously, we all know pageantry is their life and their extra efforts to be slim are obvious. That is not what role-modeling means. I want to see a size 12 Miss USA.

Anyways, so the top 5 got a question from a random judge. Miss North Carolina answered her question as to be expected about the bailout money to US companies. Of course she said, "no they shouldn't have received the money." Because we all know that is the vibe in the audience as they applaude whole heartedly. Yet, as Miss California receives her question, she lost her chance at the crown. Her question was regarding marriage and the recent laws passed to redefine marriage. Well, first she said (which I agree), that it is great that the people of America have the choice and have the ability to vote on it. However, this is what cost her the crown, "I personally believe that marriage is between a man and a woman." Well her wording is much better than mine, but that's basically what she said. There were some cheers in the audience, but overall it was very quiet. And the judge, from what I could gather was not pleased with her answer. Frankly, I thought it was great that she was honest. Yet, honesty cost her the crown.

Miss California, thank you for being honest and sacrificing the crown.

No comments:

Post a Comment