Last night Devlin was singing "Lord I lift your name on high" over and over as he got his pajamas on as well as while he was in bed. I told him that he needed to be quiet but he replied, "but I'm singing one of my favorite church songs!" How cute is that? Not too long after that he did quiet down. Then, he asked a big question. Something that he's been doing a lot lately. The other day, "how is the wind made?" Not sure how to answer, I said God made the wind. "How did He do that?" he asked. I replied with, I'm not sure honey, but He's pretty cool and can do anything. He also asked this week as we drove home, "Where's heaven?" I replied that heaven is up there. "Can we see it?" Not yet, but someday. "Is it invincible?" Yep, it is right now. He's also asked tougher questions about why God would let Elsa and Anna's parents die in the boat (from Frozen). I replied that sometimes things just happen. We don't know why, but they do.
Tonight, his question was "Am I in God's heart?" I happily replied saying yes, of course you are. He then asked, "Well, how big is God's heart?" I replied, very big. "Bigger than this?" he spread his hands out and Byron followed suit. I said much bigger. He then started to ask if it was big enough for the world, for his brother, for us, the house, the dog, the cat, the moon, etc. etc. I kept replying yes, it's big enough for anything and everyone. He still wondered how big God's heart was, so he asked, does it go beyond the house? Yes. Beyond the trees? Yes. Beyond the sky? Yes, and beyond the stars I replied. Beyond space? Yes, beyond space. His heart is bigger than you could ever imagine. He then stopped in silence but I swore I heard him whisper, whoah.
All of this reminds me of a child's willingness to be open to the unknown and their curiosity to know so much more. Do we lose this sense of openness and curiosity as we age? My fear is that sometimes we do... we get caught in life's stresses, the to-do list, and we forget to stop and think about how amazing this all is---
No comments:
Post a Comment