We've been battling with thistle in our backyard all summer long. The edge between our yard and the pond is full of it. We had tried to seed wild flowers, but the thistle took over. A friend of ours referenced the parable about the good seed, (Matthew 13:24-30, 37-43). During our conversation, I wholeheartedly, and quickly, agreed with the reference. But after more thought, I stepped back and asked myself, who is to say what is good seed and what is bad? What if the thistle (despite my own judgement) is the good seed? With its thorns and pricklies, it keeps my children away from the 40 foot deep pond. And it does bloom...it yields fluffy purple flowers that are very pretty.
I extend these thoughts also to a message on KTIS. It was referencing the events of 9/11 and had a blessing, calling on God to bless our country, God's greatest country on earth. Again, at first I was appreciative of the blessing and message. But now, I think, how can we say that our country is God's greatest country on earth? Does God have a favorite? The only thing I can think of is the discussion in the passage about who gets to sit where next to Jesus in Heaven (Mark 10:40). I get caught in the trap of judging "good/bad" all the time... and sometimes I feel pretty bad about it afterwards. But it makes me think a bit more about how we as people, tend to judge so quickly on things...from plants to products to animals to humans.
Eventually, it will be gone, as I'd rather have a prettier rose or some other row of bushes at the edge of our lawn. However, I will take a second look at how we tend to quickly judge the good and the bad and hopefully learn it is not my place to judge.
No comments:
Post a Comment