Friday, October 30, 2009

Receive then Give

So for my birthday I received a few checks which was great. I thought about paying down (by not much) so of my credit card debt, but I also stood still and thought about a story on KTIS yesterday morning. They talked about a church whose pastor asked 10 individuals to come forward and volunteer. They had no idea what they were volunteering for when they walked up to the front. Each person was given an envelope containg what the pastor called, "A Gift from God." They were directed to use this gift in whatever way they thought was appropriate. He also strongly encouraged them to spread the gift to God's community. I thought about what happened after this, what each volunteer did to spread their gift. I couldn't believe that the $100 turned into thousands. It was amazing.

So, this morning I decided to spread my birthday gifts to others. Our university has been participating in a United Campaign. I donated some cash but also went out shopping, buying items for the women's shelter. It was so much fun to just back away from my day and help others.

I did use some of my birthday money towards my credit card payments though, as I did just purchase Devlin's birthday gift. ha. Well I think it was a family gift (the aquarium).

No comments:

Post a Comment