"Where do you think you're going?"
A well-suited woman glares down on the thirty-something with four grocery bags of files. She's got her hands full to say the least, and a comment such as this I believe is not needed today. She's waiting for the 477, headed towards Apple Valley. Unfortunately she does not know the "rules."
My office window lets me view this corner. When I first started my job at Capella University, I stared at the line from seven flights up thinking Wow. I asked my coworkers what was going on. They said "477."
There is a peculiar culture of the 477 passengers. There are unwritten, even unsaid rules on loading, riding, and departing this bus. She broke one of them. The woman, with her four bags walks 100 feet to the end of the line, as the 477 passengers load the bus. Rule #1: Get in Line. No budging. Period.
I suppose this rule is a good rule, but for first timers, can't we give them a break? No. They too, must follow the rules from day 1. It should be in their blood if they are from Apple Valley. I am not from Apple Valley, but tend to ride 477 once in awhile as my husband works there. I am from 460, Burnsville. Our culture is quite different, but when our bus moved to 3rd street due to the construction, the disease of 477 started to spread. I knew of 477's rules and regulations, but 460's passengers were in culture shock for about a week when the two stops occurred on the same corner. They'd ask, "What line is this? What's going on?" 477 passengers would stiffen their collars and tighten their grip on their briefcases. "This is for 477." You could tell they were flustered when several bus routes migrated to their corner.
If you didn't know about their rationale for such a rule, you'd think they were snobbish. 477 has a limited number of buses on the route. As a result, many passengers end up standing the whole way to Apple Valley. It's not a 5 minute ride, but rather 30-50 minutes and some times longer.
Rule #2: Stay in Your Space (Specifically Standing Room Only Passengers). This rule is for standing room only folks. If you are standing, you better stay in the aisle. Do not, do not I repeat, let your coat wander into a passenger's seat space. Once, I was riding (seated) and the gal next to me just sighed heavily for several minutes. I thought at first, she was just having a bad day. No, no. A polite, fifty-something, was wearing a heavy winter coat and it was brushing up against her cheap romance novel. The woman standing had the same assumption as I did, until my 477 neighbor finally spoke out sternly. "Move your coat. Don't you mind? I'm trying to read here." I was shocked. The standing passenger, she just looked down upon her and said, "Sorry." All 75 minutes of that ride were uncomfortable. I decided to break one of the other rules and use my cell phone.
Rule #3: Do not use your cell phone. All buses have the curtesy rule regarding cell phones. I agree with that rule. But on 477, you do not use your cell phone. Every head will turn forward or backward, honing in on the cell phone user. It's as if the signal trips a mind-sensor in each passenger.
There are many other rules, including how you depart the bus. Every bus (depending on the time of day) asks that you depart the bus in order (front seats to back seats). This makes sense. However, if a new rider does not know this rule and breaks it on 477, you'll have hell to pay. Everyone will remember who you are, where you sat, and they will step you aside as soon as you get off the bus and when you get on tomorrow (if you come back) reminding you of the rules.
One wonders: is this an example of the individual assenting to the group, or the other way around? Who has control? And....what about the bus driver?
ReplyDelete