What's in a name?
In my Ulysses class I wrote a paper about Joyce's usage of names. He not only makes fun of his own characters but also pins real individuals as well. However, it's not because he's rude, but because he's making a point. What is in a name? Is there meaning in "Courtney" that is important to society as a whole or is the value only in the individual?
Courtney means (from what I've found on the Internet no-less) "counselor of animals" and has a French origin. How does this impact me? Why was I named Courtney in the first place? Did my mom read about these meanings in a book and say...wow...that will be my daughter? I don't think so.
There's much more to a name.
However, I find myself in the same situation in naming our children. When looking for our first son's name, I invesitgated, digged through books, online, you name it. Then, Alex comes along with an email, a list of names...and I just knew Devlin was to be Devlin. Of course I googled Devlin right away before making that decision, but it just fits...yet I wonder how or why it fits.
Anyways, for our second son (yes, I'll be surrounded by men), a name is much harder to find. Here are a few that I found but may not have interest in, just to keep you on your toes...I'll be adding more as I think about it...
New Names:
Benen
Bradigan
Brennigan
Edwin
Bennett
Brae
Brennan
Edison
Ellis
Some from last time:
Edward
Lucious
Nicolai
No comments:
Post a Comment